Saturday, November 30, 2013

Today in history

Mark Twain was born!
What a fantastic writer, thinker and humorist. One of my first book in english, given to me by my grandfather was Huckleberry  Finn. Do you know that he was born the day the Halley comet came near earth and predicted that he would die when it would return. Its exactly what happened!

A few of his sayings:

  • A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

  • Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

  • Anyone who stops learning is old, whether twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing you can do is keep your mind young.

  • I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.

  • In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language.

  • It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. 
 
  • Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand. 

  • Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. 

  • Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

    • Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason
       
    • Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

    No comments: